FlightGear Newsletter June 2016
|This newsletter is a draft.
Please feel free to add content that you think will be of interest to the FlightGear community.
7 and 14-segement display fonts for Canvas
Erik added Keshikan's excellent 7 and 14 segment display font family to FGData under Fonts/DSEG because he needed one for Canvas which the current 7-Segment.ttf font did not provide. This adds 50 types of LED/LCD fonts in one package: http://www.keshikan.net/fonts-e.html
In the hangar
GTA V Washington
GTA IV Tampa
New BAe Sea Harrier version
The 2.5.0 version of the British Aerospace Sea Harrier has been released. This version includes the following changes:
- Nasal code style cleaned up
- All XML files encoded in UTF-8 w/o BOM; encoding added in headers
- Throttle and thrust vector levers fixed.
- Canvas HDD properly integrated
- Start Canvas-based radar
- All paths are now relative
- Some changes to the cockpit
- Some more bugfixes
- New splash texture
- License changed back to GNU GPL v2
The new version can be downloaded from here.
DHC-6 Twin Otter development
Over the last few weeks, the Twin Otter received several updates:
- 3D Models for the pilots. Users can hide/show them by pressing ⇧ Shift+Y.
- Major enhancement of the simulation of systems and instruments. The aircraft now features two independent pitot and static systems: One for the pilot's instruments, one for the copilot's instruments. If the pitot tubes get iced, it will disable the whole pitot system, not just the airspeed indicator. In addition to this, a second KI206 VOR indicator was added to enhance the IFR capabilities of this aircraft.
- A very first version of the hydraulic system has been added. At this time it only contains a gauge for the hydraulic pressure, and the pressure is dependent on the voltage output of the electrical system.
- All switches are now animated by a smooth transition from one position into another.
- Finally the nose wheel steering lever has been added, animated, and implemented.
As part of the new release, there's an opportunity for us to include some carrier aviation if we wanted to. The Marinha do Brasil (Brazilian Navy) operates the aircraft carrier São Paulo, which happens to have previously been the French aircraft carrier Foch, which we have a working model for. They also happen to operate Douglas AF-1 Skyhawks (aka A4 Skyhawk), which we also have, albeit not in the appropriate livery and not quite up to date avionics. If anyone is interested in doing so, it might be a nice enhancement to include an AI scenario with the Foch off the coast of Rio, and include livery support on the A4 to match the Marinha do Brasil. As Brazil is one of the few countries operating CATOBAR aircraft carriers, it seems a fine opportunity to add an additional international flavour to the sim for the upcoming release.
Some work in the Canary Islands, in Spain; dedicated textures for sandy and arid landscapes, airport buildings and structures (GXCO, GCLA, GCGM, GCHI, GCLB and others), shared objects (canary houses and hotel) and airport layout regeneration by D-ECHO and Catalanoic.
|The FlightGear Wiki still needs help for translating it into various languages. If you are interested in making the FlightGear Wiki multilingual, you can start by looking at Help:Translate.|
|Le wiki de FlightGear a toujours besoin d'aide pour être traduit en différentes langues. Si vous êtes intéressé par le rendre multilingue, commencez par lire Help:Traduire.|
|Das FlightGear Wiki braucht noch Hilfe für sie in verschiedene Sprachen zu übersetzen. Wenn Sie bei der Herstellung der FlightGear Wiki mehrsprachiger interessiert sind, können Sie, indem Sie auf Help:Übersetzen beginnen.|
|De FlightGear Wiki kan nog steed hulp gebruiken bij het vertalen van artikelen. Als je interesse hebt om de wiki meertalig te maken, raden we je aan om een kijkje te nemen bij Help:Vertalen.|
|La wiki de FlightGear todavía necesita ayuda para traducirla a varios lenguajes. Si estás interesado en hacer la FlightGear wiki multilingüe, entonces comienza en Help:Traducir.|
|La wiki de FlightGear encara necessita ajuda per traduir-la a diverses llengües. Si esteu interessat en fer la wiki de FlightGear multilingüe, llavors comenceu a Help:Traduir.|
|A wiki de FlightGear ainda necessita de ajuda para traduzi-la em vários idiomas. Se estás interessado em tornar a wiki de FlightGear multi-lingual, por favor começa em Help:Traduzir.|
If you want some graphic elements for your FlightGear-related site (such as a hangar or YouTube channel), please feel free to visit FlightGear logos for a repository of logos. And if you have some art skills, please don't hesitate to contribute with your own design creations.
The FlightGear project always needs screenshots, which show features that were added since the last release. These should be of good quality, especially in content and technical image properties. It is therefore recommended to use the best viable filter settings (anti-aliasing, texture sharpening, etc.). More info at Howto:Make nice screenshots.
Screenshot of the Month
Entries for this month's best screenshot can be submitted to this forum topic. Be sure to see the first post for participation rules. For purposes of convenience and organization, after all the entries have been submitted, a new forum topic will be started containing all shots in an easy-to-view layout. The voting will then take place there. Once the voting has finished, the best screenshot will be presented on this page.