FlightGear wiki:Village pump
Welcome to the Village Pump. This page is used to discuss the technical issues, operations and guidelines of the FlightGear wiki.
Pleaseto the bottom of this page.
Old discussions should be moved to a FlightGear wiki:Village pump/Archive YEAR. These discussions can then be moved to a relevant talk page if appropriate.
Backup and shutdown plan
Hello. In the past, I have contributed to sites such as Yahoo Answers, which disappointingly ended up shutting down with little notice after operating seemingly well for a long time, i.e. over a decade.
In the unlikely case that this wiki ends up shutting down at some point in future, I would like to ask whether the wiki has a backup plan. Since text compresses efficiently, will a compressed archive of users' contributions be released? And how long in advance would there be a warning? Gordon (talk) 13:13, 13 February 2022 (UTC)
- Hi Gorden and welcome!
- Yes, we make regular backups. There is no intention to shutdown the wiki at any point and as we are not a commercial project, we have absolutely no reason to withhold any data that you've contributed. I could imagine that at some point the contents of the wiki may be moved to a different platform (who knows what'll be available in years from now), but definitely not deleted. Note that the wiki is also occasionally archived to the Internet Archive.
- Does that give you enough reassurance to contribute?
- Gijs (talk) 10:25, 14 February 2022 (UTC)
Recently the chain of newsletters for 2022 appears to have been broken. There was a February newsletter and a April newsletter, but no March newsletter, and the Feb and Mar newsletters did not link to each other.
In the last day or so, User:Aepcam has created a March newsletter. But the links are still not working. For example both the March and April newsletters have "Create next Edition >" links that would create a new May newsletter.
Could someone who knows how these things work, take a look?
- This looks to me as if it's still working like it used to? "Please help us write the coming edition" links to the April newsletter (which is being written now) and "Create next edition" links to May, which is the next edition after that. Or did you mean something else?
- Gijs (talk) 10:04, 19 April 2022 (UTC)
- The problem i was seeing has been fixed by this change (i think by you?): https://wiki.flightgear.org/w/index.php?title=FlightGear_Newsletter_March_2022&diff=134988&oldid=134976
Favicon not showing
I've just noticed that the favicon, set up back in FlightGear wiki:Village pump/Archive 2021#MediaWiki updated to 1.35.1 is no longer showing. Does
$wgFavicon need to be re-added to the
LocalSettings.php file? Cheers!