FlightGear wiki:Village pump/Archive 2021
|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
MediaWiki updated to 1.35.1
We've just updated MediaWiki (our wiki software) to version 1.35.1. The update comes with a couple of nice new features, such as a visual editor that considerably lowers the entry barrier (no need to learn wiki markup!). We've also fixed the issue that prevented users from editing certain non-Latin articles and enabled TLS so your connection is now secured with HTTPS.
Although we've tested the update, chances are that we've missed certain scenarios. Please let me know if something isn't working as expected.
PS: Now that we're back in sync, you may expect more frequent updates again.
- The only issues I have noted so far is that
- It seems the visual editor, when editing discussion pages, can only be used when adding a new topic, but not when editing an existing one.
- Section editing is off by default (though I think it might have been previously as well).
- —Johan G (Talk | contribs) 15:45, 7 February 2021 (UTC)
- Thank you very much! The 6 year old UTF-8 bug is finally gone!! Everything else is looking good to me. No strange Scribuntu/lua errors from the infoboxes, SyntaxHighlight works, collapsible boxes work. Great job!
- I did get one error: "Error contacting the Parsoid/RESTBase server: http-bad-status" when trying to edit. This was triggered by switching from the visual editor to the source editor using the menu bar that appears in the visual editor. But I fixed this by turning off the visual editor in my preferences.
- Oh, just one thing if this is possible, can we have a favicon set like the forum and the main website?
Parameter listings in template documentation
I noted that the skeleton examples with all parameters have been removed in some cases.
I very much prefer to still having a copyable skeleton template (with prefilled month, year, and/or date when those parameters exist) before the listing of parameters, rather than having to copy a fully filled out filled out example and remove everything I do not need or have to change. It feels very unnecessary.
On the other hand I do like the template data stuff very much, even though it is few extra steps.
- Hi Johan,
- I'm not sure if you know this, but you can now add templates through the VisualEditor. If you press "Insert > Template" from the toolbar, you get a nice popup to help you fill in the template and it can also pre-fill stuff for you (e.g., the date in Template:Delete). The templatedata stuff on the template page is used to expand this popup form and drive the auto-fill, so most templates will not yet leverage it to the fullest. You can add/edit templatedata by clicking the "Manage TemplateData" button at the top of the edit page of templates. See the documentation at (that page is unfortunately quite messy, I know) and .
- I feel like we should encourage people as much as possible to use the VisualEditor, as it can help prevent mistakes or incomplete templates. Would this remove the need to have copy & pastable templates? Maybe we'll just have to try and see. There's lots of new stuff to discover and tweak :-)
- Gijs (talk) 10:20, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
Removing the "Goal" heading from template documentation
As we will likely go through and edit most of the template documentation to replace the current documentation of template parameters with template data, I would like to also remove the Goal heading from the template documentation and move that up to being a regular lead section.
I feel that the heading is largely redundant and have previously stuck to it mostly for consistency.
Basic question sub page/sandbox
Hi, New to the wiki here and hoping to contribute in some small way. I don't see any instructions (or menu options) on how to crate a sub page or sandbox in order to start drafting an article. I'll also aim to update the wiki on how to crate a sub page as it might help others with the same question. Many thanks Volador (talk) 08:33, 7 April 2021 (UTC)
MediaWiki updated to 1.35.3
We have updated MediaWiki to its latest version 1.35.3 today. Although we've tested the update, chances are that we've missed certain scenarios. Please report any issues that you may encounter.