Work in progress
The map below shows the three tarmac/pavements and six runways at EDDF Frankfurt.
- Runways (RWY) are numbered between 01 and 36 to indicate their magnetic heading (to nearest 10th degree).
- RWY 36 points north, 18 points south and 07 points NW.
- A runway can be used in both directions and therefore two names, eg RWY 18/36.
- If there are two or more runways, then L, C and R are appended for Left, Center, Right, eg 07L/25R.
- The DME (top center) is the location of the DME transmitter and is placed around half way down the runway.
- Below is the label indicating the RWY length, 3901M long and 50m wide and is designed to facilitate huge/heavy/fast aircraft, as well as small ones.
- The lines of the center line are at ?m intervals
- Below the red T, are the green lights of the "threshold", a point at which aircraft are to land or take off after. 09L is a displaced threshold as its further onto the tarmac and a blast zone.
- Under the red P on both sides are the PAPI lights next to the "touch down zone", a point past the threshold and the safe landing area.
- TODO - elevation description
- TODO The lead in lights and the ILS position TODO
Below is the Google map view of 27R threshold.
- Tis the threshold
- Above the vertical purple lines are the "lead in lights", and these stretch at 25 intervals over a motorway, football pitch and a light industrial area.
- The ILS system is clearly visible
The image below is an aircraft fly-by of the northern runway 27R (right entry above)
- 27R is clearly marked on the runway tarmac in foreground.
- The parallel 27L (09R threshold) is visible top left.
- T is the runway threshold and green lights. From the opposite side IE 09L these appear as red.
- The ILS localiser is positioned the other end of the runway near 09L threshold and red lights.
- D is the approx position of the DME transmitter halfway down the runway.
- The P are the PAPI lights, aircraft is high for fly-by.
- The Z is the target "touch down zone"
The image below is a fly-by near the 09L threshold, a few moment after above (exiting to the left above)
- 9L is clearly marked on the runway for approaching aircraft
- The Threshold is marked with "red lights" and from the other side and landing, these are green.
- The threshold is "displaced" from the end of the actual tarmac and a line-up/blast zone.
- The ILS system is beyond the tarmac, the red/white colored box.
- A taxi way is visible leading to or from the runway.