|← Previous changelog||Next changelog →|
The FlightGear development team is delighted to announce the v2016.2 "Barcelona" release of FlightGear, the free, open-source flight simulator. This new version contains many exciting new features, enhancements and bugfixes. Highlights in this release include the Space Shuttle, ALS filters, a new HTTP TerraSync system, and improvements to our automatic ATIS.
Founded in 1997, FlightGear is developed by a worldwide group of volunteers, brought together by a shared ambition to create the most realistic flight simulator possible that is free to use, modify and distribute. FlightGear is used all over the world by desktop flight simulator enthusiasts, for research in universities and for interactive exhibits in museums.
FlightGear features more than 400 aircraft, a worldwide scenery database, a multiplayer environment, detailed sky modelling, a flexible and open aircraft modelling system, varied networking options, multiple display support, a powerful scripting language and an open architecture. Best of all, being open-source, the simulator is owned by the community and everyone is encouraged to contribute.
Download FlightGear v2016.2 for free from FlightGear.org
FlightGear – Fly Free!
Major enhancements in this release
- Video configuration can now be saved.
- The TerraSync server has been switched to a HTTP-based system instead of SVN.
- All scenery models have been cleaned up and moved to TerraSync.
ATIS and METAR
- Various improvements in the reporting of wind, atmospheric pressure, and sky cover
- Custom ATIS formats for the US/Canada/Pacific region and the UK based on real recordings
- Bug fixes and data updates to reduce occurrence of NIL weather
Atmospheric Light Scattering
- Filters have been added, enabling infrared and night-vision views.
- ALS procedural lights have been added.
- An ALS-based system for displaying birds has been added.
- A bug that prevented precipitation from appearing has been fixed.
- A bug in the multiplayer protocol has been fixed.
- Route Manager now allows entry of a space-separated list of waypoints.
- The Italian translation for menus, loading messages and help for command line switches has been updated.
- Further improvements to regional textures.
- New buildings for Heathrow Airport and Barcelona–El Prat Airport
- A bug in fixed. has been
- A Chinese translation of the Manual has been added.
Highlighted new and improved aircraft
- Piper J3 Cub
- Boeing 757
- Extra EA-500
- Saab JA-37 Viggen
- Cessna 182S Skylane
- Space Shuttle
- Beagle Pup
- Icaro Laminar 13 MRX
FGPromo: A FlightGear Promotional Video
After more than 5 months of hard work, FGPromo, a video showing off FlightGear at its finest, has been released!
- See our bugtracker for a list, albeit incomplete, of the bugs fixed in this release.