Tu 144 preparing for takeoff
|Type||Airliner, Supersonic aircraft|
|Configuration||Canard aircraft, Delta-wing aircraft|
|Propulsion||Quadjet (Jet aircraft, Four-engine aircraft)|
|Author(s)||@femboywings, @ShFsn, @konsni|
|License||CC BY-SA 4.0|
The Tupolev Tu-144 (NATO: Charger) supersonic transport (SST) was the first of the two supersonic passenger airliners to fly, the other one being the Concorde. Tu-144's unique retractable canard allows the elevons to function as flaperons, bringing the takeoff/landing speeds closer to conventional airliners and allowing to use the same airports. It was one of the last commercial aircraft with a braking parachute, due to difficulties in thrust reverser development.
The Tu-144D addon for FlightGear aims to accurately model the latest long-range variant, 1981 Tu-144D model 09, as of the last built aircraft № 09-1 (reg. 77115) from 1984. It can be installed with the QT launcher hangar URL: https://gitlab.com/fg_shfsn/hangar/-/raw/main/catalog.xml.
Updated: September 2022
- FDM based on DATCOM and some literature data, that agrees with normal flight perf in the whole fuel-payload domain.
- FCS, engines, systems and most instruments able to follow the Flight Manual. Note that there will be differences because of the Flight Manual being for № 04-1 (reg. 77106), an old variant of Tu-144 (sans D).
- Automatic management of fuel and center of gravity throughout the whole flight.
- All normal and some emergency procedures documented in the Checklists window, most also working as Tutorials.
- Quick reference and cockpit description, also available in Russian: quick reference and cockpit description.
- In-sim calculator for fuel, payload, center of gravity and change of flight levels.
- Detailed visual almost fully synchronized over MP and supporting the latest Compositor features. Adapted from from @konsni's FSX add-on with improvements and optimizations.
- Automated copilot and engineer doing callouts, performing their tasks during landing and take-off, as well as some on-demand actions such as instrument setting or engine startup.
- Initial support for autostart and state overlays, allowing for quick practice, testing and debugging.
Tutorials, checklists and help
There are available:
- Text operation manuals on russian and english (in tha aircraft folder)
- Interactive checklists (inside the simulator)
- Video tutorials playlist
Characteristics and performance
|Max T/O||207,000 kg|
|Normal T/O||< 180,000 kg|
|Max landing||132,000 kg|
|Fuel max||106,000 kg|
|Payload max||15,000 kg|
|Max at 19,000 m||Mach 2.15|
|Pattern (canard out)||340 km/h IAS (~ 350 km/h TAS)|
|Approach||290 km/h IAS (~300 km/h TAS)|
|Practical ceiling||19,700 m|
|Max fuel, 7,500 kg payload||5700 km|
- Rivers, Robert A.; Jackson, E. Bruce, Fullerton, C. Gordon, Cox, Timothy H., Princen, Norman H. (February 1, 2000). A Qualitative Piloted Evaluation of the Tupolev Tu-144 Supersonic Transport (PDF). Published by NASA. Archived from the original on July 31, 2021. Retrieved July 31, 2021.
- Bliznyuk V.. The truth about supersonic transport aircraft (in Russian). Archived from the original on Mar 5, 2021. Retrieved July 31, 2021.