Screenshots and categorization
Since you upload a lot of screenshots and I am a bit of a nitpick when it comes to organizing the screenshots I think I might be helped by asking you to first read the text below and then skim through Help:Categories and FlightGear wiki:FlightGear screenshot categories.
You are using good file names and image descriptions, which is pretty much essential for the search feature to be useful.
Ideally you should only use one or maybe a few categories, and screenshot categories. Apart from that you use meaningful categories which really helps browsing the categories for meaningful screenshots.
Using a lot of categories for each screenshot will put a lot of screenshots in each category. This will make it harder to find good image for a certain purpose. To illustrate this there is still about 500 images left in Category:Aircraft (currently nearly 400 images). Unfortunately since the upload wizard was added new screenshots are automatically categorized per content license, so probably thousands images are still rather hidden if they are not used on a wiki page.. Before I started trying to separate the images of the wiki into categories with images the very most of them was there. Say 95% or at the time about 3000 if I recall correctly. A lot of them did not really have useful file names either, so finding a specific type of image was a lot of work. I messed up and initially only separated them into aircraft, scenery, etc, which still shows in for example
Apart from my nitpicking about categories, go on. You are doing great!
What are overlays?
While categorizing uncategorized pages I found Category:Screenshots of overlays. What are they? Are they the Canvas overlays or something scenery specific. For now I have just guessed scenery and ALS (I have been taken a break from FlightGear and have not fully caught up yet).
- Overlays are a new ALS specific effect. There's a new toggle slider in the rendering > shaders dialog. They use geometry shaders to create really small terrain detail. The grass effect uses overlays which create blades of grass that sway under downwash from rotors. The procedural texture page doesn't have the instructions for it yet. Overlays are performance intensive on older hardware. I added a bit about them in the anti-aliasing page.
- --Vs (talk) 09:28, 11 March 2020 (EDT)
Pterosaur and Gazelle over Blue Mountains near Katoomba screenshots
I am very sorry, but trying to fix the naming of the two files below I have messed them up:
- File:Pterosaur over Blue Mountains near Katoomba in Australia with signature blue haze (FlightGear 2020.x).jpg
- File:Gazelle over Blue Mountains near Katoomba in Australia with signature blue haze (FlightGear 2020.x).jpg.
The original files are still visible in the list of your uploads, so there must be some way to fix this.
It seems there was some trouble initially, but I have obviously made it worse trying to create a missing page and moving pages around while trying to fix the file names so they depict what they are saying.
- Oh don't worry. Thanks for trying to fix it!. The upload on some files had some sort of error, while other files in the same batch were fine.
- Error: There's a blank file page. No edit option, only create. When I click create the wiki asks for the anti-bot flightgear question. Then it says "Someone else has changed this page since you started editing it" and asks to view both and merge manually. The other edit is of course a blank page. Typing the text again takes asks the anti-bot question. The cycle repeats.
- Is there a way to not have wiki ask the anti-bot question by adding to a trusted list of users or something? I guess I can try to reupload, with the text position changed slightly to avoid a duplicate file I guess. Is there a way to filter file uploads with blank pages?
I noted this edit.
Adding those screenshots really lifted that page. :-)
- :) I'm trying to do a pass for the LTS covering at least the few newcomer articles linked from the wiki front page, trying to avoid/clear up misconceptions. - Vs (talk) 07:15, 2 September 2020 (EDT)
2020 LTS Keflavik news post draft
While it still is a draft, I still want to put this here. Currently no links are pointing to the article and it has no category. In essence it is only "visible" from recent changes or a search for words in the article.
Adding links to it from related articles, in particular from the current newsletter, and one or two categories (think leaf nodes, not tag clouds) will help make this a lot easier to find without having to put in an effort to find it.
Yep. I did link it to the ML and the forum, not sure what categories are appropriate for drafts - eventually the drafts will no longer be relevant, so tehy can be deleted I guess. I've added a section to the newsletter with the pan so far.