|Description||Improved autogen support for FlightGear using OSM data|
|Contributor(s)||radi, vanosten, Soitanen, portreekid|
|Status||Under active development as of 02/2016|
|OpenStreetMap use in FlightGear|
osm2city is a set of procedural programs, which create plausible FlightGear scenery objects (buildings, roads, power lines, piers, platforms etc.) based on OpenStreetMap (OSM) data.
- The development repository is hosted on Gitlab. The same applies for related texture data. You have to download both!
- Please use the forum thread osm2city.py development for discussion and support.
- Documentation regarding installation and usage can be found on osm2citiy's Read The Docs site.
- Written in Python 3.5, developed on Linux. It should also run on Windows and Mac OSX, however most testing is done on Linux.
Programs and Feature Areas
osm2city contains the following programs to generate scenery objects based on OSM data:
- buildings.py: generates buildings honoring OSM height and level tags as well as reads relations ('buildings with holes'). Includes lightmaps, complex sloped roofs (using Olivier Teboul's implementation of the straight skeleton algorithm), obstruction lights on tall buildings. Texturing of roofs and facades based on a texture manager, which find matching texture for given building (number of levels, modern/old building, etc).
- roads.py: generates different types of roads and railways incl. texturing and automatically calculated bridges.
- pylons.py: generates pylons and cables between them for power lines, aerial ways, railway overhead lines as well as street-lamps, wind turbines and storage tanks.
- piers.py: generates piers and boats.
- platforms.py: generates railway platforms.
All generated objects are added as static or shared objects to FlightGear scenery with correct elevation read on the fly from existing FlightGear scenery. Tagging and topology in OSM are respected as far as possible and complemented with some heuristics (given the developer team's origin mostly inspired by how stuff looks in Europe).
Issues and Feature Requests
Please register issues and feature requests in the repository as issues and label them accordingly.
- Areas populated with osm2city scenery
- Project3000 can be used together with osm2city
- Using OSM2CITY on Windows
- Development and user discussions regarding osm2city
- Announcements of new available osm2city scenery
- World build of osm2city scenery
- LOWI city buildings - where it all started