I've been involved in Flight Simulation since 1984 when I started working at Link-Miles in Lancing, England on the Tornado F2 simulator. I've worked on (and flown) many certified simulators since then, including B737-2/3/4/5, A320, BAe Hawk, B757/767, B747-2/4, Super Puma.
There are some [FlightGear articles] that I've published on my personal site.
Contributions to FlightGear
Returning to FlightGear in 2014 after a renewed interest in simulation the first thing I did was to redevelop the aerodynamics model for the F-14 based on real data [F-14 Development page] this took me a few months and I fixed a load of other things afterwards. The next logical step seemed to be the F-15 which was very poorly modelling and I felt a serious omission in aircraft for FlightGear. So I built a new model based on the F-14, [F-15 development page]
- Supermarine Swift FR.5
- Jaguar GR1
- Mirage 2000-5
In 2016 I became a core developer and really have been focussed around improvements to the core to improve performance, improve modelling and Naval aviation.
- 2015 - Crashes on exit
- 2016 - Multiplayer segfaults
- 2016 - FGData; Simple generic MFD framework
- 2016 - Emesary (Nasal)
- 2016 - Added date to the Time dialog
- 2017 - Improved Multiplayer protocol (more efficient usage of space)
- 2017 - Tortola GUI Style (better for AMD hardware)
- 2018 - Model performance measuring; performance monitor improvements.
- 2018 - FGData fallback models
- 2018 - Joystick GUI improvements
- 2019 - LOD (Level of Detail) improvements (GUI, core)
- 2019 - OSG thread safety improvements by using the ReadRef methods
- 2019 - DDS Texture cache (using osg_nvtt) - to improve texture loading pauses.
- 2019 - FGComm added channel support
- 2019 - Emesary (simgear)
- 2019 - Nasal background garbage collection (disabled due to stability issues)
- 2019 - Multithreaded rendering experiment (stalled) [
- 2017->2019 research and development into the future of scenery; ended up starting the WS3.0x VirtualPlanetBuilder project that is now (2020) underway and scheduled for NLTS after 2020.3
FlightGear Core areas
Generally I look after
- Multiplayer comms (core)
- (FGdata) Emesary, both Nasal
- (simgear) Emesary
- (FGdata) Emesary MP bridge
- (simgear) DDS Texture cache
and assist with
- Animation changes
- General modelling topics
- Windows (AMD Radeon) - most core developers use Linux/OSX and NVIDIA