This is a US Navy free balloon as used for initial lighter-than-air training during the 1920s to 1940s. It is fairly representative for a type of aircraft that first flew in 1783 and soon afterwards found a shape and construction that it retained (almost) to this day.
The ZF Navy free balloon with the envelope shader enabled.
Important controls / keys
- W - Weigh-off to 10% of current weight by dropping ballast. Takes about 10 seconds and only works when on the ground.
- w - Show current on-ground weight. Only works when on the ground.
- D/d - Drop ballast in 1%/0.1% decrements.
- F/f - Open/close the gas valve.
- R - Rip the envelope. Use only close to the ground and when you really really want to stay there.
This aircraft depends on instruments from some other aircraft (for FlightGear 2.6.0 and above). Install these too.
- The balloon envelope shader doesn't show over MP unless the property /sim/rendering/shaders/aircraft/balloon-envelope/quality-level is manually set to 1. The property might no longer be visible in the shader settings dialog also when the ZF Navy free balloon is the user's aircraft.