Splash srceens are used in a number of different ways by the simulator:
- As thumbnails of aircraft within the launcher Aircraft page and on the website.
- As a gallery of aircraft screenshots within the launcher Aircraft page, which the user can scroll through.
- As a background to the launcher Summary page
- As a "splash screen" while the simulator is loaded.
Using splash screens
Thumbnails must be a 171 x 128 pixel JPEG file, named "thumbnail.jpg" in the aircraft root directory.
Launcher gallery and aircraft loading splash screens
The other 3 uses use a common set of screenshots, defined in the Aircraft-set.xml file under
<previews> <preview> <type>cockpit</type> <path>Previews/cockpit_c182t.jpg</path> <splash type="bool">true</splash> </preview> <preview> <type>exterior</type> <path>Previews/exterior1.jpg</path> <splash type="bool">true</splash> </preview> <preview> <type>exterior</type> <path>Previews/exterior2.jpg</path> <splash type="bool">true</splash> </preview> </previews>
<type>can be "cockpit", "exterior" or "detail"
<path>is the path to the .jpg file
<splash>is used to indicate whether the files should be used on the loading screen.
Splash screen file requirements
File requirements are as follows:
- 1024 x 768 pixel resolution (or at least these proportions - the constant increase in screen resolutions means that 1920x1080 is becoming more prevalent)
- No border, text or logo elements. Information on the aircraft type and authors is added at run time by the simulator.
- Minimal post-processing is preferred, so it is a close representation of what the user can expect to see.
- Preferably only featuring standard scenery and aircraft, no other add-ons