|Type||Airliner, Business aircraft, Cargo aircraft, Civil aircraft, Military transport aircraft, Military utility aircraft, Special-purpose aircraft, STOL aircraft, Transport aircraft|
|Configuration||High wing aircraft, Monoplane aircraft, Retractable gear aircraft, Tricycle landing gear aircraft|
|Propulsion||Twin-engine turboprop aircraft|
|Manufacturer||Dornier-Werke, RUAG, General Atomics Europe|
|Author(s)||Benedikt Wolf (D-ECHO)|
The Dornier DO 228-212 NG is a twin-engine turboprop passenger, cargo and special missions aircraft designed by . The Dornier 228 made its first flight in 1981 and is subsequently produced until today. This model, the NG ("New Generation") variant was introduced in 2007 by RUAG Aerospace, which took over production and design from the defunct Dornier-Werke company. In late 2020, the program was again sold to General Atomics Europe, which continues the production and maintenance in Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany.
The FlightGear Model
RUAG, the aircraft's manufacturer until 2020, was as nice as to provide a Pilot Operating Handbook of the aircraft as well as answering some questions. D-ECHO is trying to create the aircraft's model, FDM and systems simulation as closely to the available data as possible. This also means that the progress is rather slow and rather big parts are still missing (e.g. the engine models are still very incomplete until better reference is found). Help is welcome, but the POH can't be shared. If you want to help, please contact D-ECHO, preferably via the forum or Discord.
- docs/instruments.md lists all of the known instruments along with their development status and references
- FDM: Ongoing
* Fuselage: Mostly done * Engines: Started, Reference needed * Details: To-Do * Interior: Cabin and doors exist, no details, no seats * Cockpit: Panels and Seats mostly done, details to be added
* Electrical: Done * Hydraulics: Simulated basically, can be improved * Anti-Ice and Icing: Not done * Fuel: Simulated basically, can be improved * Engines: Simulated basically, can be improved * EICAS Messages: System is in place, not all messages functioning * Glass instruments: Basics done, to be improved and more features to be added
Checklists are available at Help -> Checklists. All items that can't be executed yet should be marked "(not yet available"). There is an autostart available for those not wanting to go through the real procedure.
- EASA Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS)
- RUAG: Dornier 228 Advanced Commuter (AC) Facts & Figures (via the Internet Wayback Machine)
- TPE331-10 Turboprop Engine Brochure
- MTV-27 (Propeller) EASA Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS)
- The Dornier 228 on its new manufacturer's webpage (GA Europe)