Help talk:Tracking changes
Moving and/or rewriting
When first seeing this page I (and probably many other) first thought that it would help someone who had not been to a wiki going through the first steps of creating a new page. However it is more of a "welcome to this wiki and please write about this" kind of page ending in three lonesome sentences on how to create a new page.
I have been pondering whether I should move this to Help:Introduction, Help:Welcome or something like that and rewrite this page or if I should just rewrite it. I will probably do the former (move and rewrite this page). Any suggestions are most welcome.
- I am now considering moving most of this article to Help:Tutorial after first deleting the current two-edit stub Help:Editing and moving the current Help:Tutorial there. Help:Tutorial would then be rewritten into a tutorial on what this wiki is all about and what a wiki is and how to efficiently use it and contribute to it For more see Help talk:Tutorial#Rewrite and move to Help:Editing.
Deleting vs. rewriting
I would suggest rewriting this page into a general tutorial or introduction to the wiki instead of deleting it. While I have not yet done this myself though I have thought of it, I believe it could help the newer editors, specifically those with little or no prior experience from a wiki using the MediaWiki wiki software.
Some things this tutorial could be about is for example
- What are those links to the right?
- Why should I write a summary?
- What is a diff?
- What is a category?
- What are permalinks?
In essence more general stuff not covered by Help:Your first article.
- Oh. I misunderstood your plans then. I was oriented to split maintenance and "use" (i.e. simply adding contents), so hints for choosing the category and writing the summary could go directly in Help:Your first article. I guess most people wouldn't be interested in the rest. Also, Help:Maintenance (which I happen to have just created before reading this) is supposed to talk more about this wiki than wiki in general.
- --Bigstones (talk) 22:12, 9 May 2014 (UTC)