Hi fellow wiki editors!
I have tried to keep the template short, but meaningful. /Johan G
Clarification: In its current form, the RFC section is exclusively based on and covered by previous mailing list and forum discussions (as well as various wiki entries), as such it is not supposed to reflect work in progress (RFC="Request For Comments" and not WIP), but is rather to be seen as an attempt to provide comprehensive analyses and summaries of key issues identified in various FlightGear related discussions and feature requests (which are to be linked to in the corresponding resource sections, if that didn't yet take place, it's because of most of these RFCs being indeed WIP).
Thus, RFC entries are not meant to imply anyone "working" on any of these issues, in fact only because an RFC entry is listed here doesn't necessarily mean that work on that particular issue is prioritized or generally endorsed by the FlightGear community. These RFC documents are however intended to hopefully help increase and maintain awareness of long-standing issues and challenges affecting FlightGear's evolution and overall development progress in order to solicit community feedback about possible approaches to address these in an efficient and structured fashion. Anybody is welcome to comment on, help refine and develop new strategies to tackle the challenges presented in these and future RFCs.
- Autopilot Enhancements - enhancing the autopilot infrastructure.
- Backwards Compatibility Initiative - discussing possible ways to improve FlightGear's backwards compatibility.
- Multiplayer Enhancements - discussing possible steps to enhance FlightGear's Multiplayer support.
- Modularizing, parallelizing and distributing FlightGear - splitting fgfs into distinct components that are to be run as separate processes using the property tree for IPC purposes in order to leverage SMP platforms and distribution/remoting to help FlightGear become more scalable.
- FDM engine feature standardization - discussing possible steps to standardize feature support of mainstream FlightGear FDM engines.
- FlightGear Glass Cockpits - discussing required infrastructure changes to enable non-developers to easily access FlightGear-internals in order to enable them to model complex glass cockpit-type aircraft instrumentation systems.
- FlightGear Headless - discussing required steps to enable FlightGear to be used as its own regression testing framework
- FlightGear Sessions - discussing possible steps to finally allow aircraft to be reliably switched at runtime.
- Formalizing Aircraft Status - discussing suggestions about how to more properly describe aircraft development status.
- Keyboard function priority list - reorganizing FlightGear keybindings.
- Next Generation Scenery - revamping the FG scenery engine.
- Property Tree Reorganization - reorganizing the property tree (i.e. implementing and enforcing existing property/node naming conventions).
- Recommended Property Tree Enhancements - discussing possible property tree enhancements to help ensure integrity of crucial runtime state.
- Recommended Project Policies - discussing recommended policies for future contributions to the project.
- Simplifying Aircraft Deployment - identifying potential steps to simplify deployment of FlightGear aircraft.