osm2city is a set of procedural programs, which create plausible FlightGear scenery objects (buildings, roads, power lines, piers, platforms etc.) based on OpenStreetMap (OSM) data.
- Documentation regarding installation and usage can be found on osm2citiy's Read The Docs site.
- Written in Python 3.5, developed on Linux. It should also run on Windows and Mac OSX, however most testing is done on Linux.
Programs and feature areas
osm2city contains the following programs to generate scenery objects based on OSM data:
- Generates buildings honoring OSM height and level tags as well as reads relations ('buildings with holes'). Includes lightmaps, complex sloped roofs (using Olivier Teboul's implementation of the straight skeleton algorithm), obstruction lights on tall buildings. Texturing of roofs and facades based on a texture manager, which find matching texture for given building (number of levels, modern/old building, etc).
- Generates different types of roads and railways incl. texturing and automatically calculated bridges.
- Generates pylons and cables between them for power lines, aerial ways, railway overhead lines as well as street-lamps, wind turbines and storage tanks.
- Generates piers and boats.
- Generates railway platforms.
All generated objects are added as static or shared objects to FlightGear scenery with correct elevation read on the fly from existing FlightGear scenery. Tagging and topology in OSM are respected as far as possible and complemented with some heuristics (given the developer team's origin mostly inspired by how stuff looks in Europe).
Issues and feature requests
Please register issues and feature requests in the repository as issues and label them accordingly.
See the Screenshots with OSM2City output for high-ish settings screenshots of OSM2City version 2017.2 and later.
Barcelona, Spain with road lighting visible
Example of piers.py output
osm2city placed wind turbines at Rød Sand 2 in Denmark.
osm2city generated pylons with cables, street with bridge over railway with overhead cables.
osm2city generated buildings and roads with light effects at night