|← Previous changelog||Next changelog →|
The FlightGear development team is delighted to announce the v2018.3 release of FlightGear, the free, open-source flight simulator. This new version contains many exciting new features, enhancements and bugfixes, including ....
Founded in 1997, FlightGear is developed by a worldwide group of volunteers, brought together by a shared ambition to create the most realistic flight simulator possible that is free to use, modify and distribute. FlightGear is used all over the world by desktop flight simulator enthusiasts, for research in universities and for interactive exhibits in museums.
FlightGear features more than 400 aircraft, a worldwide scenery database, a multiplayer environment, detailed sky modelling, a flexible and open aircraft modelling system, varied networking options, multiple display support, a powerful scripting language and an open architecture. Best of all, being open-source, the simulator is owned by the community and everyone is encouraged to contribute.
Download FlightGear v2018.3 for free from FlightGear.org.
FlightGear - Fly Free!
- Launcher improvements including improved start location support, flightplan loading, internationalization, Ad
- Chinese and Italian translations for the launcher and UI
- Improved joystick configuration and binding options.
AI / Multiplayer
- Multiple Levels of Detail (LoD) for MP and AI aircraft. To improve performance, low-detail models are used when the viewer is far from the MP aircraft.
- Fallback models to display in the case where a viewer does not have the MP aircraft installed.
- Many improvements to AI models including new liveries, timetabled movements
- Support for retrieving Canvas images over HTTP
- Improved cloud rendering with stronger Mie scattering on cloud fringes, improved scattering on cirrus clouds
Significant Aircraft Updates
- FG1000 glass panel display, based on the Garmin G1000
- Improved Replay handling of AI aircraft and carriers - judge your own carrier landings.
- KC-130 tanker aircraft for air-to-air refuelling