From FlightGear wiki
About the Debian installation:
A hint of
apt-get install --no-install-recommends ffgo python3-pil.imagetk geographiclib-tools python3-geographiclib
might be helpful! Note the --no-install-recommends!
- Hi Chris,
- Feel free to suggest the option, explaining why it is useful. I didn't think about it probably because I use aptitude, which handles Recommends in a nice way IME. It's a wiki, not my private sandbox. :)
- --Rominet (talk) 05:29, 11 October 2016 (EDT)
- Well, it took me hours (again) to get it right, reading up on the old thread on the forum, which is loong, until I found this little piece of information. So I thought, it might be easier to find here... Anyway, I've put a note-box under "Debian".
- Chris blues (talk) 06:58, 11 October 2016 (EDT)
- Sorry it took you some time, and thanks for your contribution to the page. :-)
- BTW, there is a new apt command-line tool, since you seem to like apt-get.
apt provides a high-level commandline interface for the package management system. It is intended as an end user interface and enables some options better suited for interactive usage by default compared to more specialized APT tools like apt-get(8) and apt-cache(8).
- I haven't tried it, though.
- --Rominet (talk) 07:51, 11 October 2016 (EDT)
- Yes, I've tried apt and didn't like it. It does some things better, but all-in-all I like apt-get better. Things like scrolling through the terminal is important to me. :o)
- Though I don't know, from the top of my head, if it resolves recommendations better than apt-get. Since it still uses apt-get - I doubt it. Maybe I'll try aptitude...
- Chris blues (talk) 08:00, 11 October 2016 (EDT)
- Just in case you try aptitude, here is my /etc/apt/apt.conf (which applies both to APT/apt-get and aptitude):
// cf. apt_preferences(5) // APT::Default-Release "stable"; // Always show packages to be upgraded (-u) APT::Get::Show-Upgraded "true"; // Fetching all these little diff files is sloooooow Acquire::Pdiffs "false"; // APT::Authentication::TrustCDROM "true"; // Added for the upgrade from woody to sarge (taken from the Release // Notes), and increased for the lenny to squeeze upgrade // APT::Cache-Limit "18000000"; // Similar to dselect Aptitude::UI::Advance-On-Action "true"; Aptitude::Auto-Upgrade "true"; Aptitude::CmdLine ""; Aptitude::CmdLine::Show-Why "true";