Request for comments
| This article or section contains out-of-date information
In its current form, the RFC section is exclusively based on and covered by previous mailing list and forum discussions (as well as various wiki entries), as such it is not supposed to reflect work in progress (RFC="Request For Comments" and not WIP), but is rather to be seen as an attempt to provide comprehensive analyses and summaries of key issues identified in various FlightGear related discussions and feature requests (which are to be linked to in the corresponding resource sections, if that didn't yet take place, it's because of most of these RFCs being indeed WIP).
Thus, RFC entries are not meant to imply anyone "working" on any of these issues, in fact only because an RFC entry is listed here doesn't necessarily mean that work on that particular issue is currently prioritized or generally endorsed by the FlightGear community. These RFC documents are however intended to hopefully help increase and maintain awareness of long-standing issues and challenges affecting FlightGear's evolution and overall development progress in order to solicit community feedback about possible approaches to address these in an efficient and structured fashion. Anybody is welcome to comment on, help refine and develop new strategies to tackle the challenges presented in these and future RFCs.
- An Integrated AI Traffic System - improving the integration of the AI traffic system with the rest of FlightGear
- Autopilot Enhancements - enhancing the autopilot infrastructure.
- Backwards Compatibility Initiative - discussing possible ways to improve FlightGear's backwards compatibility.
- CDI instrument - collection of information relating to creating a formal CDI instrument in FG
- Decoupling the AI Traffic System - discussing possible ways to decouple the AI traffic system from FlightGear in order to improve overall performance and synchronize AI state across multiplayer clients
- Multiplayer Enhancements - discussing possible steps to enhance FlightGear's Multiplayer support.
- Modularizing, parallelizing and distributing FlightGear - splitting fgfs into distinct components that are to be run as separate processes using the property tree for IPC purposes in order to leverage SMP platforms and distribution/remoting to help FlightGear become more scalable.
- FDM engine feature standardization - discussing possible steps to standardize feature support of mainstream FlightGear FDM engines.
- FlightGear Headless - discussing required steps to enable FlightGear to be used as its own regression testing framework
- FlightGear_Run_Levels - Canvas related discussion on how to make subsystem initialization more explicit and configurable by using SGPropertyChangeListeners to dynamically allocate and free SGSubsystems recursively
- FlightGear Sessions - discussing possible steps to finally allow aircraft to be reliably switched at runtime.
- Potential alternatives to Plib's PUI library - collection of cross-platform GUI libraries that work with OpenGL
- Keyboard function priority list - reorganizing FlightGear keybindings.
- Next Generation Scenery - revamping the FG scenery engine.
- Property Tree Reorganization - reorganizing the property tree (i.e. implementing and enforcing existing property/node naming conventions).
- Recommended Property Tree Enhancements - discussing possible property tree enhancements to help ensure integrity of crucial runtime state.
- Recommended Project Policies - discussing recommended policies for future contributions to the project.
- Redesigning the Replay System - addressing the restrictions in the current implementation of the replay system
- Remote Properties - introduces a small but powerful extension to the property tree in order to allow properties to be maintained in a different (remote) instance of a property tree, that is transparently accessed using a network socket.
- Simplifying Aircraft Deployment - identifying potential steps to simplify deployment of FlightGear aircraft.