Image:Thud_gunnery.jpg|thumb|270px|The [[Republic F-105 Thunderchief|F-105]] in action.]]With [[Flightgear]]'s increasing capabilities , ''' bullet effects''' such as tracers and smoke on impact are now supported. You will need [[FlightGear 1.9.0|FlightGear version 1.9]] or later, in order to use the effects.
== Setup ==
There is no default key/button binding for a trigger in FlightGear, so you will have to make your own. An obvious choice of button would be the trigger on a [[joystick]], but you can also make a keyboard binding by adding something like this to your <tt>[[$
In the code, we have used
'''e ''' as the trigger. You can change it to a choice of your own but '''e ''' is the standard key binding used by most aircraft in FlightGear . Joystick bindings are a bit more complex, but are explained in the wiki article on [[Joystick]]s.
guns and bullet effects to your Airplane ==Once you have a key or button binding defined to active the trigger, you'll then need to add the needed [[ AI_Systems#Submodels ]] configuration file to your airplane's root directory, and ensure the file is activated in your *-set.xml file. The choice of tracer, smoke and impact visual models is up to you. You may also add a sound effect to your sound configuration file that activates with the trigger.
The standard trigger location for FlightGear is
In a submodel.xml file, this typically looks something like this:
. . .
== Aircraft already equipped with guns==
Some aircraft have the needed submodel files included.
All aircraft equipped with guns in [http://home.comcast.net/~davidculp2/hangar/hangar.html Dave's hangar] are capable bullet effects. Like:
* MiG-21MF (Fortele Aeriene Române)
aircrafts (not from Dave's Hangar) include
* [[General Dynamics F-16|F-16 Fighting Falcon]]
* [[Sopwith Camel]]
* A6M Zero - Armed version available here : [http://www.AAliveries.yolasite.com]
* F-15C - Armed version available above----⤴
== Current limitations ==
* Submodel information is not sent with the [[Howto: Multiplayer|multiplayer]] protocol, so multiplayer users will not be effected by your bullets. The tracers, smoke and impact effects will only be seen by you.
* The impact cylinder for models is fairly large, so you will see impacts occur outside of the target model's boundaries.