== Recent efforts ==
This would not start from scratch. Recent efforts have already taken place towards making it possible:
* [[ATC-pie]] already integrates CPDLC: it is working for other session types (e.g. solo), and an IRC-based (simple text) infrastructure for FG sessions is already in place, including transfers between data authorities, etc. (all it needs now is to be contacted by aircraft!);
* work is currently in progress on a cockpit CPDLC panel;
* a CPDLC middleware is under dev, required at this point because FG models cannot open their own TCP connections.
* involving core dev's at least for the design choice, a way to get rid of the middleware eventually, e.g. allow Nasal connections to FG-approved servers (like irc.flightgear.org) or integrate specific accesses in the C++ code base (sort of the same history as FGCom, going from standalone executables to an option in the FG menu)?
* can someone create a sketch of a block diagram of the elements that need to communicate and the connections between them? -- p callahan
[[Category:Hackathon 2020 Ideas]]