The Tupolev Tu-144 (NATO: Charger) supersonic transport (SST) was the first of the two supersonic passenger airliners to fly, the other one being the Concorde. Tu-144's unique retractable canard brings its takeoff/landing speeds close to those of conventional airliners, allowing to use the same airports.
The Tu-144 addon for FlightGear has been developed by Michael Danilov since April 2015 and aims to accurately model the latest, long-range, variant of the aircraft (Tu-144D). It can be installed with the QT launcher using this hangar URL: https://gitlab.com/mdanil/Tu-144_hangar/raw/master/catalog.xml
The highlights, as of November 2020, are:
- DATCOM FDM agrees with normal flight perf in the whole range of fuel and payload.
- FCS, engines, systems and most instruments follow the POH.
- Normal flight's procedures are fully covered in Checklists window, most of them also work in Tutorials.
- Detailed visual, adapted from from Nikita Konstantinov's FSX add-on with slight improvements, almost fully syncs over MP.
- Automated crew reduces the simulation-related workload by reading some instruments and doing some landing/RTO actions.
- Both realistic autostart and state overlays have been implemented, allowing for quick testing and debugging.
Characteristics and performance
||< 180,000 kg
|Max at 19,000 m
||340 km/h IAS (~ 350 km/h TAS)
||290 km/h IAS (~300 km/h TAS)
|Max fuel, 7,500 kg payload