|← Previous changelog||Next changelog →|
The FlightGear development team is delighted to announce the v2018.3 release of FlightGear, the free, open-source flight simulator. This new version contains many exciting new features, enhancements and bugfixes including useability improvements to the launcher, improved scenery for Hawaii and the Arctic island of Jan Mayan, Italian and Chinese translations, better visuals for AI and MP aircraft.
Founded in 1997, FlightGear is developed by a worldwide group of volunteers, brought together by a shared ambition to create the most realistic flight simulator possible that is free to use, modify and distribute. FlightGear is used all over the world by desktop flight simulator enthusiasts, for research in universities and for interactive exhibits in museums.
FlightGear features more than 400 aircraft, a worldwide scenery database, a multiplayer environment, detailed sky modelling, a flexible and open aircraft modelling system, varied networking options, multiple display support, a powerful scripting language and an open architecture. Best of all, being open-source, the simulator is owned by the community and everyone is encouraged to contribute.
Download FlightGear v2018.3 for free from FlightGear.org.
FlightGear - Fly Free!
- Flightplan loading within the launcher.
- Chinese and Italian translations for the launcher and UI
- Improved support for the state of the aircraft depending on starting location - cold and dark on the ramp, engine running ready for take-off on the runway, or in cruise flight.
- Improved joystick configuration and binding options.
AI / Multiplayer
- Multiple Levels of Detail (LoD) for MP and AI aircraft. To improve performance, low-detail models are used when the viewer is far from the MP aircraft.
- Fallback models to display in the case where a viewer does not have the MP aircraft installed.
- Many improvements to AI models including new liveries, timetabled movements
- Support for retrieving Canvas images over HTTP
- Improved cloud rendering with stronger Mie scattering on cloud fringes, improved scattering on cirrus clouds
- Improved scenery for Hawaii, the default location for this release.
- New scenery for Jan Mayen, situated north east of Iceland. Including the active volcano of Beerenberg (2277m).
Significant Aircraft Updates
- "Metadata" has been added to many aircraft, making it easier to find new exciting aircraft to fly using the launcher, whether you are interested in aircraft from the 1920s or twin engined business jets.
- B-25 : Various bug fixes and minor improvements
- Cessna 172 : Improved cockpit, interior lighting.
- Citation II : New panels, radio instruments. Complete remodelling of the electric system, with accurate bus voltage, circuit breakers. System test knob implemented.
- F4U : new FDM
- F-14 : V1.8. Improved flight model, particularly in low speed regime. Improved cockpit.
- F-15 : V1.8. Updated flight model, particularly armament mass location. Performance optimizations. Autopilot improvements.
- Saab 37 Viggen : Version 4.311. Various updates, particularly to radar and armament models.
- Seneca II: Long range tanks, interior lighting,
- SpaceShuttle : Milestone-10. Improved interior (including furry velcro), launch guidance and orbital plane targeting, more realistic OMS burn procedures, expanded systems including circuit breaker simulation and failure modelling.
- FG1000 glass panel display, based on the Garmin G1000
- Improved Replay handling of AI aircraft and carriers - judge your own carrier landings.
- KC-130 tanker aircraft for air-to-air refuelling