|This changelog is a draft.|
FlightGear 2.8.0 ChangeLog
The FlightGear development team is happy to announce the v2.8.0 release of FlightGear, the free, open-source flight simulator. This new version contains many exciting new features, enhancements and bugfixes.
Founded in 1997, FlightGear is developed by a worldwide group of volunteers, brought together by a shared ambition to create the most realistic flight simulator possible that is free to use, modify and distribute. FlightGear is used all over the world by desktop flight simulator enthusiasts, for research in universities and for interactive exhibits in museums.
FlightGear features more than 400 aircraft, a worldwide scenery database, a worldwide multi-player environment, detailed sky modelling, a flexible and open aircraft modelling system, varied networking options, multiple display support, a powerful scripting language and an open architecture. Best of all, being open-source, the simulator is owned by the community and everyone is encouraged to contribute.
Download FlightGear v2.8.0 for free from FlightGear.org
FlightGear - Fly Free!
Some of the major changes include:
- Improved aircraft models and textures.
- Synced with the JSBSim project.
- Region-specific terrain textures for Europe, Hawaii. Now towns in Europe look different from towns in the USA.
- Random 3D buildings for urban areas, complete with lighting at night.
- Random objects, buildings and trees are only placed within specific areas of a terrain texture.
- Airport signs with full apt.dat 850 syntax support. Models are rendered in 3D, with support for double-sided signs.
- Support for menu translations.
Highlighted new and improved aircraft
- Airwave Xtreme 150: complete new (JSBSim) flight dynamics, new model, advanced pilot animations.
- Cessna 337G Skymaster
- Various improvements to our scenery database have made it easier than ever to add, delete or update objects to the FlightGear world.
- A new, experimental renderer, named after the famous painter Rembrandt, is included for testing purposes.
- Easy selection of material files.
- Additional joysticks and rudder pedals are supported out-of-the-box:
- InterLink Elite
- Qware USB
- Saitek Cyborg X (F.L.Y. 5)
- Saitek Pro Flight Trim Wheel
- Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
- Speedlink Defender
- See our bugtracker for an extensive list of the bugs fixed in this release.