Hi fellow wiki editors!
I have tried to keep the template short, but meaningful. /Johan G
User:Callahanp/Flightgear and Simgear Code
Flightgear and Simgear Code
This is my attempt to describe aspects of the Flightgear and Simgear Codebase as I learn how to do maintenenance, bug fixes and eventually, (one hopes!) new contributions to the project.
I learned C++ in the 1990's, but never got a chance to apply it in my work. I'm retired and now's the time.
First, I got encouragement from the core developers. Then I read a lot of stuff on the wiki about how the project actually works. Then I got to work. Detailed work. I'm not about to ask the core developers to hold my hand and walk me through it all. But of course advice is always welcome and I'll be asking a few questions on the developer's mailing list.
Here's what I've explored so far:
- Tools for a Flightgear Developer (see also Tools of the Trade)
- From Command Line to Holding Short. A look at what gets called when you start Flightgear
- gitg. A way to look at who is doing which changes and to examine the changes themselves
- Doxygen. Another way to look through the code.
- What's Happening in The Event Loop. Just a few calls in a loop!
At this point I think the following topics are now open for further exploration:
- A Closer Look at Manager Modules and Subsystems. Code that affects what other code does in some way.
- The Property Tree
- Stepping through Code for Chosen Scenarios
- "Code Patterns" Found in Flightgear and Simgear
- More About Events and Event Handling.
- Visiting the Boundaries of Flightgear and Simgear. a look at things flightgear calls or customizes.
- The Future of Flightgear - A look at where Flightgear' codebase is heading. Moving more code to simgear, RTI etc.
At some point while exploring the topics above, I'll be taking a closer look at some of these: