Talk:FlightGear Flight Academy
Started a draft to outline the Academy's goals and content.
Please, for any suggestion you'd like to give on it, have in mind to keep it as simple as possible and as close to the daily IRC and forums routines. We are not going to simulate an IRL-Academy but establish a helpfull institution for the FG-newcomers (, I think ;-)). Thank you!
- Flughund 09:11, 23 October 2012 (EDT)
Goal of the Academy is to help newcomers to get used to FG itself and its documentation to get them on their own feet quickly, if possible. Otherwise, for people who need some more attention on some topics, there can be lessons arranged.
There are no such things like tests or certificates, students have to learn self-reliant.
Ideally (all|most) instructors (who hang out in #fg_school) are familiar with
- the set of documents we refer to for the learning content, to point help seeking persons anytime to the right one.
- the content of those documents to be able to answer questions on them anytime on IRC.
- the controls and instruments of the c172p, to be able to explain them anytime to newcomers on IRC.
Short term, until the Academy is structured and the instructors are familiar with the teaching content:
- Getting to know FG
- Set up FG // Basic/essential FG options
- Set up Multiplayer, required for Dual-control in-sim lessons
- Communication (chat, fgcom, ...), only needed for in-sim lessons
- (Get scenery, depending on the location of the home base)
- The aircraft, c172p
- Aircraft controls
- (Basic/VFR) Aircraft instruments
- Why do planes fly at all?
- Effects of the control inputs (rudder, elevator, ailerons, flaps, prop/engine)
- Navigation (VFR)
Long term, things that we might teach in the future: