Difference between revisions of "Scenery LOD ideas for FlightGear"
m (moved LOD ideas for FlightGear to Scenery LOD ideas for FlightGear: Might be a good idea to specify that the scenery is the topic of this page)
Revision as of 05:18, 9 February 2012
Moving forum discussion to the wiki:
Maybe there could be one single globe texture, and each tile btg would have it's correct texture coordinates into that image.
For LOD, I'd implement something like this :
- Allocate a huge texture for a single 10x10 degrees area
- load tiles as usual
- render the tile to a small subpart of the huge texture
- replace the tile geometry by a quad using the corners of the tile and map the small chunk of texture to it
- unload the tile geometry to free memory
- repeat for each tile of that area
- save the texture to disk and repeat for another 10x10 degrees area
Sharing the same texture for a huge area save state changes. The tile quad geometry could be saved in the btg format to a Terrain.LowRes directory tree, using the material property to reference the shared texture