Getting a patched version of OpenSceneGraph
Thanks to Mathias Fröhlich, we can use an updated OpenSceneGraph version that contains 3 additional patches.
- most important an updated ac3d loader - that is our most used one ...
- a fix to the RGB Loader
- a small backport of OpenSceneGraph-CVS doing the right OpenGL version checks ...
You can find that tarball at ftp://ftp.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/Misc_maf/OpenSceneGraph-20061029/OSG_OP_OT-1.2-Flightgear.tar.gz
Mathias is working on getting the two patches upstream ...
And the MSVC8 win32 build dependencies for OpenSceneGraph can be found at http://www.oflebbe.de/oflebbe/FlightGear. Look out for the link to 3rdParty.zip.
Do not forget to run autogen.sh when updating sources.
- OSG Rendering Performance is roughly up to a factor of 2 slower for some scenes. This seems to have more dramatic on the Windows MVC8 build.
* Some scenes do not work: The view is black. The default scene c172p on KSFO is working, however. It seems to be a terrain/ground problem since it disappears by using the UFO. This is fixed now by the ground-cache fix in CVS (061107)
- There are also missing ground tiles: For instance located between EDDF
- Rendering order of instruments / ... is wrong.
- transparency issues:
- runway lights shine through panel:
- runway lights shine through cloud layers in an awkward way:
- 2D-cloud layers flood into cockpit
- The prop of the C172 block the view on the waves of the carrier
- The reflector gun sight on the Seahawk
- A new overhead window in the C172 (inside out)
- "Near clipping problem" (nearby objects are partially clipped at left and right window boarder, ie seats in C172 inside)
- Some textures are to dark, runway for instance.
- Runway lighting seems to have rendering artefacts on ATI Cards.
- compass working incorrectly
- Aircraft issues
- Hurricane/Spitfire/Seafire won't start. The starter spins continuously, but the engine won't fire.
With the Spit/Seafire I get
Notice: Material::getDiffuse(FRONT_AND_BACK) called on material
with separate FRONT and BACK diffuse colors.
and a segfault;
- A4F crashes FG, without any error message that I have found so far. (FIXED a4/Models/a4-blue.ac 1.18 groups are not supposed to have vertices)
- Hunter and Seahawk have lost their exhausts (of course).
- The Engage Launch-bar command (L) is broken.
- The Mixture control (M/m) seems to be broken.
List of 'compatible' aircrafts TO BE CONTINUED
- 3D-billboard objects are not displayed right now (ie trees or radio masts)
- 3D clouds
- Rendering of some scenes is not perfect.
- Exhaust shader
- Chrome Shader
- Weather Radar
Miscelaneous OSG benefits
Mathias: "I think that we should make use in the longer term of the Producers capabilities for multiple view installations. But not only multipipe installs will benefit from that. The Producer will also help to get benefit from multicore SMP machines. For that the following article is of huge interrest: http://www.donburns.net/OSG/Articles/OSGMP/"
Getting the PLIB Code
Use the tag PRE_OSG_PLIB_20061029 for checking out the branch with the plib scenegraph.