The FlightGear development team is delighted to announce the v2016.4 release of FlightGear, the free, open-source flight simulator. This new version contains many exciting new features, enhancements and bugfixes. Highlights in this release include C++11 Support, support for airport data files within scenery folders, a highly-detailed Space Shuttle model and much more.
Founded in 1997, FlightGear is developed by a worldwide group of volunteers, brought together by a shared ambition to create the most realistic flight simulator possible that is free to use, modify and distribute. FlightGear is used all over the world by desktop flight simulator enthusiasts, for research in universities and for interactive exhibits in museums.
FlightGear features more than 400 aircraft, a worldwide scenery database, a multiplayer environment, detailed sky modelling, a flexible and open aircraft modelling system, varied networking options, multiple display support, a powerful scripting language and an open architecture. Best of all, being open-source, the simulator is owned by the community and everyone is encouraged to contribute.
Download FlightGear v2016.4 for free from FlightGear.org
FlightGear – Fly Free!
Major enhancements in this release
- FlightGear is migrating to C++11. Those of you who compile FlightGear yourself might find nasty compilation errors. If please ask on our (flightgear-devel) mailing list.
Atmospheric Light Scattering
- FGRun has been removed from the release.
- ATC Chatter has been re-introduced. See here for instructions.
Highlighted new and improved aircraft
- Milestone 7 of the Space Shuttle has been released, with more impressive detail than ever before. Download it from FGAddon. Read more in the Newsletter.
- Support for GoFlight EFIS and TQ6 added
--json-reportoption added to output data including FlightGear version and directories.
--allow-nasal-readoption added to clear directories for Nasal read operations.
- See our bugtracker for a list, albeit incomplete, of the bugs fixed in this release.
Fixes in 2016.4.2
- Fixed crash on Mac OS X during startup
- Fixed issues with multiplayer port and the launcher storing variant
- Fixed wrong default airport when first starting FlightGear